Sunday, October 4, 2009

Attack on Afghan outposts kills 8 U.S. troops

Attack on Afghan outposts kills 8 U.S. troops: "KABUL — Militant fighters streaming from an Afghan village and a mosque attacked a pair of remote outposts near the Pakistani border, killing eight U.S. soldiers and as many as seven Afghan forces in one of the fiercest battles of the eight-year war.The Taliban claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack for coalition forces since a similar raid in July 2008 killed nine American soldiers in the same mountainous region known as an al-Qaida haven. The U.S. has already said it plans to pull its soldiers from the isolated area to focus on Afghan population centers.Fighting began around dawn Saturday and lasted several hours, punctuated by American airstrikes.

Jamaludin Badar, governor of Nuristan province, said the two outposts were on a hill — one near the top and one at the foot of the slope — flanked by the village on one side and the mosque on the other.Nearly 300 militant fighters flooded the lower, Afghan outpost then swept around it to reach the American station on higher ground from both directions, said Mohammad Qasim Jangulbagh, the provincial police chief. The U.S. military statement said the Americans and Afghans repelled the attack by tribal fighters and 'inflicted heavy enemy casualties.'Jangulbagh said that the gunbattle included U.S. airstrikes and that 15 Afghan police were captured by the Taliban, including the local police chief and his deputy. A Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said a council would decide the fates of the police, confirming the capture of the two top local officers.Badar said five or six Afghan soldiers died, as did one policeman.Afghan forces were sent as reinforcements, but Jangulbagh said all communications to the district, Kamdesh, were severed and he had no way of knowing how they were faring Sunday.

The area is just 20 miles from the Pakistani border and 150 miles from Kabul.'This was a complex attack in a difficult area,' U.S. Col. Randy George, the area commander, said in the American statement. 'Both the U.S. and Afghan soldiers fought bravely together.'Jangulbagh said the bodies of five enemy fighters were found after the battle.U.S. Capt. Elizabeth Mathias, a military spokeswoman, said American forces continued to man the outpost and there was scattered fighting early Sunday. She said was unclear if the attackers were Taliban or from another group linked to them.She said American officials were working with the Afghan army to relay messages to Afghan forces in the area.Separately, a roadside bomb southwest of Kabul killed a U.S. service member on Saturday, Mathias said.Nuristan, bordering Pakistan, was where a militant raid on another outpost in July 2008 claimed the lives of nine American soldiers and led to allegations of negligence by their senior commanders.

Army Gen. David Petraeus last week ordered a new investigation into that fighting, in which some 200 militants armed with machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars pushed their way into the base, which is no longer operating.Badar said he had sought more security forces for Kamdesh district. He said Taliban fighters had fled to Nuristan and neighboring Kunar province after Pakistani forces drove many extremists from the Swat Valley earlier this year.'When there are few security forces, this is what happens,' he said.He also complained about a lack of coordination between international forces and Afghans.The U.S. statement said the attack would not change previously announced plans to leave the area.Afghanistans northeastern Nuristan and Kunar provinces are home to al-Qaida bases as well as those of wanted terrorist Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, whose military chief Kashmir Khan has been unsuccessfully targeted by U.S. missiles over the past eight years. Kamdesh district has no regular cell phone or landline contact and few roads, dirt or paved. Local security forces communicate by handheld radio.

The region was key for Arab militants who battled alongside Afghan warriors during the 1980s U.S.-backed war against invading Russians because it is a rare place in South Asia where the Wahhabi sect of Islam is practiced — the same sect followed by Osama bin Laden and most Saudis.Many Arabs remained in Afghanistan, marrying Afghans and integrating themselves into local society. Many also belonged to Hekmatyars Hezb-e-Islami group, now sought as terrorists by the U.S.-led coalition.Bin Laden also considered the region a useful hiding ground, his former bodyguard, Naseer Ahmed Al-Bahri, told The Associated Press in a 2006 interview in Yemen.It sits directly across the border from Pakistans Bajaur Agency, where bin Ladens No. 2, Ayman al Zawahri, was last seen.___Associated Press writers Rahim Faiez and Noor Khan contributed to this report."



(Via Air Force Times - News.)

USAF Taps CAP Volunteers For Green Flag Support

USAF Taps CAP Volunteers For Green Flag Support: "

Predator and Reaper UAV units are a hot commodity these days...so hot that troops training in Green Flag exercises for deployments have to rely on simulations of the General Atomics UAV systems as they learn to work with the real-time video imagery of potential targets.

Air Combat Command, working with Joint Forces Command, recently launched a program to fit two CAP Cessna 182s with a Predator ball, and to train CAP pilots -- volunteers, and civilians -- to fly missions mimicking Predators during exercises. The first group of 18 pilots started training in mid-September. They, in turn, will train dozens more CAP crews.

blog post photo

And to think...two decades ago when I was a CAP cadet, we were excited to go work on a downed aircraft search. Sign me up!

"



(Via Ares.)

Saturday, October 3, 2009

V-44 Quad Tiltrotor Concept

Video Sharing

Video Sharing: "The NATO Consultation, Command and Control Agency (NC3A) in Brussels and The Hague today announced that it awarded a contract to Lockheed-Martin UK Integrated Systems and Solutions at the end of September to deliver a full-motion video (FMV) capability for the alliance-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan. This will allow NATO to share moving images acquired by unmanned aerial vehicles among alliance members and non-members.

blog post photo
Photo courtesy of NC3A

The NC3A’s objective is to have an initial operational capability 12 weeks after contract award. By that date, the intention is for ISAF to have two sites for the distribution, storage, archive and retrieval (DSAR) of FMV throughout Afghanistan. This will be followed by a full operational capability with an unspecified additional number of DSAR sites in 2010. DSAR will process the large amounts of data required to display moving images continuously without distortion.

Paul Lee, the NC3As project manager for the FMV DSAR contract, said FMV is to ISAFs current video-sharing capability what high-definition cable TV with a wide range of international programs is to standard definition TV with a limited number of terrestrial channels.

NC3A expects FMV to help detect insurgents and improvised explosive devices and to reduce civilian casualties.
"



(Via Ares.)

Vulture Heads for Full-Scale Demo

Vulture Heads for

Full-Scale Demo
: "Improbable as it sounded when first kicked off, DARPAs Vulture program to demonstrate technology for an unmanned aircraft able to stay aloft, uninterrupted, for at least five years is finally moving into Phase 2 - flight demonstration of a vehicle that will be the size of the objective system, but with an endurance of a minimum 30 days - long enough to show it can stay on station at extreme latitudes through the winter solstice, when sunlight is at its minimum.

blog post photo


Concept: Lockheed Martin (click on image to enlarge)


Aurora Flight Sciences, Boeing/Qinetiq and Lockheed Martin completed Phase 1 conceptual design work, and Vulture had been expected to progress to the next phase before now. But Aurora threatened to protest when it was not selected, and DARPA decided to re-open Phase 2 to competition.

The goals of the new $155 million 'Vulture II' program include flying a full-scale demonstrator with the same wing span and aeroelastic responses as the objective system. That's important because, as the in-flight disintegration of NASA's Helios solar-powered long-endurance UAV in 2004 showed, maintaining the integrity of large lightly-loaded structures is a technical challenge.

DARPA expects bidders to propose solar-electric UAVs, as studied in Phase 1, The Vulture demonstrator goals are to carry a 200lb, 1kW payload for a minimum 30 days (objective 90+ days), and keep station by maintaining a minimum westerly airspeed of 28m/s through the winter solstice at a design latitude of 35deg. The objective system would carry a 1,000lb, 5kW payload and stay aloft for 5-10 years at latitudes up to 40-45deg.

blog post photo


Concept: Aurora Flight Sciences (click to enlarge)

Phase 1 concepts included Aurora's Odysseus - three UAVs that dock in flight to form a single vehicle that assumes a Z-wing shape during the day, to maximize solar-energy capture, and folds flat at night, to minimize drag and preserve battery power. Boeing's design is essentially a scaling up of Qinteq's Zephyr, while Lockheed's is designed to be carried aloft under a balloon and released.
"



(Via Ares.)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin